Why Don’t You Roll Up to D&D Club?

Maria Bass

Members of the D&D club fighting the final boss of their first dungeon. From left, Alice Alt, Kristiana Hinzmann, Atlas Anderson (above), Joe Birkholz, Jester Smith, Emma Glaser, and Andrew Heimerman.

Maria Bass, Reporter

When it was first created, Dungeons & Dragons was a niche and unpopular game. Fast forward about 50 years and several editions later, and D&D is now known by many, but there are still plenty of people who have never played it. Whether that’s due to a lack of knowledge, not having anyone to play with, or not having the necessary materials, worry no more! You now have the opportunity to join the new D&D club at Lodi High School. Even if you’ve never heard of it before, you’re more than welcome to join. The club is run by Mr. Heimerman and Mr. Birkholz in room 1102 in the English wing. They meet and play between 3:13 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. If you join Mr. Heimerman’s intervention, he or one of the club members can help you create a character.

When asked what students should know about the club, Mr. Heimerman said, “I would like them to know that it is a fun outlet for their creativity, and it is the type of game that has something that should appeal to everyone if they find the right people to play with. The club is open to all interested students, and no experience is necessary. Anyone who wants to have fun and socialize with other students is welcome to join.”

Mr. Birkholz added that students can expect “a welcoming environment where they can have fun with friends while learning about the game.” He believes students should join the club because, “it gives them a chance to express themselves through different characters; it allows them to expand their worldview by seeing the world through somebody else’s eyes, and it gives them a great opportunity to meet new people in the school.”

“I’m just really excited about how many students have joined the club and to see how the club develops over the next year,” Birkholz added. “It’s really exciting to see D&D becoming more popular and accepted.”

For those who don’t know, D&D is a tabletop role-playing game, or TTRPG for short. It takes you through fantasy worlds and stories and into dungeons filled with interesting items and encounters. It’s a game full of adventure, where you can do almost anything your heart desires.

The students in the club are equally excited. Kristiana Hinzmann shared, “I think my favorite part is making characters. I just really like using my imagination to create characters.” Another student, Atlas Anderson, when asked about their favorite part of the club, said, “Probably just the whole campaign and how we have a big group of people getting together to play D&D and have fun.”

In closing, Hinzmann said, “I’ve had a lot of fun, and I think if more people knew about it, they would join. Some people want to play; they just need a push to actually try it.”