The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff
Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
Yearbook co-editor

Ella Johnson is a junior at LHS and is a co-editor for the yearbook. She joined the publications staff as a junior. Her main focus has been on the yearbook, but she has also been a part of the broadcast...

Harrison Keyeski is currently a freshman at LHS. He joined Writing for Publication at the beginning of the school year. He has appeared several times in the broadcast and has written multiple scripts....

Addison Woolley
Addison Woolley
Social Media Manager

Addison Woolley is a junior at Lodi High School for the 2023-24 school year. She has been a part of the publications class for two years and plans on continuing until she graduates. She is currently working...

Order in the Court!

The 2023-2024 Mock Trial season at Lodi High School has been in order, with two scrimmages already done in December. The season kicked off with impressive performances from both seasoned participants and newcomers. With the experienced members mentoring the fresh members of Mock Trial, they have been competitive in the courtroom. 

For those of you who don’t know what Mock Trial is, it’s a club where people dress up like they’re going to court, and they have a trial where they must prove their case as to why someone is innocent or guilty. You can either play as an attorney or as a witness for the prosecution/plaintiff or the defense. There are three different teams for Lodi this year: Varsity, JV Blue, and JV White. Mock Trial competitions consist of state, regionals, tournaments, and scrimmages.

With the two scrimmages that have been done so far, the predictions of this team are looking high. New Lodi Mock Trial coach Mitchel Hauser for the white team has a prediction for this year so far.

“Well, I think we got a real strong team. I think we got a real veteran team, and we have a deep, a really deep team. So you know, I think we’re gonna work hard,” said Hauser. “I think we’re gonna have a lot of success.”

With the hard work of the Mock Trial team in their practices, they are having lots of fun as well. With the combination of seriousness and fun, they make a great team when it comes to the tournaments.

“The mock trial team seems like a very formidable team,” sophomore Chase Mass said. “I’m liking it. There are a lot of people I know and just lots of friends all around.”

The Mock Trial teams are always looking for new members. All who partook in this article were asked, “Would you recommend others to join Mock Trial?” and here were their responses:.

“Yes! Mock Trial is a great learning opportunity for anybody who wants to learn how to public speak or just to enhance their writing skills,” said freshman Emily TenBarge. Maas said it is a great atmosphere, and Hauser said absolutely. If you asked anyone else on the team, they’d probably give the same response.

If you are looking to join, contact head coach Renee Potter at [email protected] to get more information.