The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff

Dakota Pierquet is currently a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year in the Writing for Publication class. She has designed a few pages in the yearbook and has written newspaper articles

Keyton Lord is a junior at Lodi High School. This is his first year taking this class.

Amelia Clark is a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year writing for the school newspaper.

Harrison Keyeski is currently a freshman at LHS. He joined Writing for Publication at the beginning of the school year. He has appeared several times in the broadcast and has written multiple scripts....

The Evolution of Saint Patrick’s Day

Thad Zajdowicz via Creative Commons

Why do we celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day? Now, it is a day of green, leprechauns, rainbows, and corned beef and cabbage. But it wasn’t always what we know now.

Who is Saint Patrick? First of all, his name isn’t even Patrick. His name was Maewyn Succat. He wasn’t Irish either; he was born in Britain. Unfortunately, at the age of 16, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders, who sold him to a Celtic priest as a slave to tend sheep. After six years as a shepherd, he escaped back to Britain, where he became a priest and traveled across Europe, studying Christianity for 16 years. He then traveled back to Ireland with a mission to convert the people of Ireland to Christianity.

While we are correcting our facts prior to the 1798 Irish Rebellion, blue, not green, was the traditional color associated with Ireland’s patron saint.

Most people don’t know that St. Patrick’s Day celebrates the Christianization of Ireland. Art teacher Whitney Robarge said, “I had no idea that St. Patrick’s Day was about Christianity necessarily. I just thought it was a fun day to celebrate being Irish.” She then went on to explain, “He basically traveled throughout the country and established Christian churches, schools, and monasteries. He used the three-leaf shamrock to explain the concept of the Holy Trinity, which is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”

Some people view Saint Patrick’s Day as unnecessary. Community member Angelina Arvizu said, “It’s just a reason to drink now. After the old traditions faded, there’s not really a point,” which is completely understandable.

On the other hand, some people, like science teacher Michael Radloff, said, “My wife’s family likes to do a bunch of stuff together. This year we are going to Texas.”

Community member Amanda Cooke said, “Every year, me and my kids dress head to toe in green and go to the parade in Madison. I also make corned beef and cabbage, my favorite.”

Whether you actually celebrate being Irish or just enjoy the activities, Saint Patrick’s Day can mean different things to different people. Have a very lucky Saint Patty’s Day!