The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff
Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
Yearbook co-editor

Ella Johnson is a junior at LHS and is a co-editor for the yearbook. She joined the publications staff as a junior. Her main focus has been on the yearbook, but she has also been a part of the broadcast...

Natalie Kieffer is a freshman at Lodi High School. She is currently taking the Writing for Publication class because she has always had the dream of one day getting a job in journalism. Natalie is involved...

Addison Woolley
Addison Woolley
Social Media Manager

Addison Woolley is a junior at Lodi High School for the 2023-24 school year. She has been a part of the publications class for two years and plans on continuing until she graduates. She is currently working...

Kai is currently a junior at Lodi High School. This is their first year on staff.

Chess on Ice

The Curling Club of Lodi
Photo+contributed+by+Cassie+Hellebrand+
Photo contributed by Cassie Hellebrand

Did you know curling, often nicknamed ‘chess on ice,’ has been sliding its way into the hearts of athletes aiming for a state title? Curling is a thing that about 1.5 million people enjoy and play all over the world.

Firstly, the curling season is underway, and they are getting closer to making the Olympics. The curling season is about halfway done. There has been so much that has gone on, and there’s more to come. The Lodi Curlers are so excited for what’s to come. They have been getting better over the season and are hoping for a win at state. Cade Crary, a freshman on the team, gives us his overview of the season and what’s to come.

Photo contributed by Cassie Hellenbrand

“We have been competing in small tournaments and have just begun our conference games to get to State in February. So far, we have been trying our best to keep winning our matches. I think we will do well at state, probably not win the whole thing but will do good,” said Crary.

Continuing, curling is a sport everyone should try. It is fun in the best ways, and you can meet friends, bond with family and keep yourself busy. Junior Lexie Birchler, the Skip, has been helping the new curlers of the future by teaching them her knowledge. 

Photo contributed by Cassie Hellenbrand

“My favorite part of curling is being able to throw stones. Others should do it because it’s very fun and strategic, and you get to meet lots of people,” said Birchler.

There are some things that in time will have to be let go and later forgotten about. The sport of curling would not be one of them with lots of things you can learn and take away from. Cassie Hellenbrand makes a huge impact on youth curling by being the Lodi High School curling coach.

“The importance of keeping it alive is most of its mental toughness, so much strategy. It’s a lot of trust. You have a lot of trust in your team,” said Hellenbrand.