The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff
Arrow Schilling
Arrow Schilling
Broadcast Editor

Arrow Schilling is currently a junior at LHS. She joined the publications staff her freshman year and is currently the editor of the broadcast. Arrow plans to continue her path of journalism for the rest...

Amelia Clark is a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year writing for the school newspaper.

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
Yearbook co-editor

Ella Johnson is a junior at LHS and is a co-editor for the yearbook. She joined the publications staff as a junior. Her main focus has been on the yearbook, but she has also been a part of the broadcast...

Men’s Mental Health Month: Movember

Men’s Mental Health Month: Movember

What is Movember, and why is it linked with men’s mental health awareness in November? November is known as Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month thanks to an organization known as Movember. They are focused on charity to help men with, mental health, cancers, and suicide prevention. They were founded in 2003. Since then, they have funded 1,320 men’s mental health projects. The company only started with 30 people, and now has reached 6 million. Why is the organization called Movember exactly? They grow mustaches to show support during November.

Why do they do this? They want to help eliminate the stigma that men don’t need help or can accept it. Grant Lembcke, Lodi High School guidance counselor, shared why he thinks men’s mental health is important: “I don’t think men always are the best at recognizing the needs that they have in mental health or certainly addressing the needs that they may have.”

What can women do to help men during Movember? Those who wish to support are known as “Mo Sistas” and can do whatever they can whether to support the charity or help the men in their lives. Junior Amelia Clark shared her thoughts about how men’s mental health constantly deteriorates: “Because of the standards that they set themselves, they don’t talk about their feelings.”

But what are some reasons they may feel this way? Lembcke explained, “Men may not feel they’re living up to what they’re supposed to be doing. Like one maybe he’s not making enough money.”

Another reason the man doesn’t feel as strong or masculine as he wants to be. “Men are told to keep their feelings inside,” junior Dylan Ness explained.

Junior Keyton Lord agreed: “With all that built-up, men make decisions with that bad mental health state.”

But how can you see the signs that our friends, brothers, fathers, family, and anyone we care about need help? Let’s use the system the group R U OK? developed, which is known as A.L.E.C.: Ask, Listen, Encourage Action, and Check-in. When you ask them how they feel, make sure you mention changes you’ve noticed in physical or mental behavior. Whether he’s contacting you less or not being very attentive to events or school, always ask. As you listen, let’s give them your full attention, always make sure they know they are valued and not alone, they have opened up to you. Encouraging him to get help, and ask him if he’s been eating or exercising. If he has not for the past two weeks or continues for two weeks, have him talk to his doctor. As you check in, make sure it’s constantly, not on a varying basis so they do get better.

If you would like to join the Movember organization, go to Movember.com.