The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff

Dakota Pierquet is currently a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year in the Writing for Publication class. She has designed a few pages in the yearbook and has written newspaper articles

Olivia Tirrel
Olivia Tirrel
Yearbook Editor

Olivia Tirrel is a junior at Lodi High School and has been a part of the Advocate staff since the 2022-2023 school year. Olivia is the Editor-in-Chief for the Yearbook and is looking forward to improving...

Madison McMorris is a sophomore at Lodi High School. This is her first year in Writing for Publication. She loves to take part in everything and to be creative.

Gift Guides for the Holiday Season

With winter break right around the corner, every family is getting ready to celebrate and enjoy the holiday season together. Homes are decorated, college siblings are home, and grocery shopping is being done. However, there is still one part missing: the presents! Even if presents aren’t the most crucial part of the holiday season, it would still be nice to know what to get other people. Here are some gift suggestions from students at LHS, specifically teens who enjoy sports, music, and literature.

Sports are an expensive hobby to have, when shopping for things like training clothes, special shoes, and other equipment needed for each unique sport. In short, a gift card to Dick’s can never go wrong. Brianna Kurt, a senior, plays basketball and volleyball. 

“This holiday season I would prefer Nike crew socks and sweats. Otherwise, anything comfortable because I’m always tired. Or shoes. I like colorful shoes, even if other people like all white shoes,” said Kurt.

Music is also a hard hobby to shop for. Knowing that instrument your person has chosen, being vocal, orchestral, or band, as well as what instrument specifically can change a lot. For a band musician, woodwinds would usually prefer reeds (or double reeds if they are an oboe or bassoon), brass could use some valve oil, and percussion usually likes to have a few new drum sticks or mallets. For an orchestra musician, the string section usually likes high quality strings for their respective instruments. And finally, vocalists can always use a humidifier and seasonal hot drinks. Junior Catherine Zajicek is an oboe player and a pianist.

“I would want to get new reeds, and challenging or interesting new pieces to attempt on a variety of my instruments, new vinyls or album covers of my favorite artist, specifically Debussy,” said Zajicek.

Literature is by far the hardest subject to shop for. You have to know what kind of genre your person likes to read, if they like to write, and what kind of writing paper, and calligraphy brushes/pencils they like to use. Fortunately, there is a wide variety of gifts that you can get for literature lovers. Anything from bookmarks, to tabs, to actual books, all will be appreciated. Junior Lexie Birchler loves to read fantasy action and adventure books.

“Good books. In all seriousness, bookmarks would be cool, or a new set of the Cruel Price series,” said Birchler.

In any case, when it comes to gifts, it really should be the thought that counts. Now you can enjoy your winter break with awesome gift choices for almost any scenario and have an amazing holiday season!