The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff
Arrow Schilling
Arrow Schilling
Broadcast Editor

Arrow Schilling is currently a junior at LHS. She joined the publications staff her freshman year and is currently the editor of the broadcast. Arrow plans to continue her path of journalism for the rest...

Harrison Keyeski is currently a freshman at LHS. He joined Writing for Publication at the beginning of the school year. He has appeared several times in the broadcast and has written multiple scripts....

Dakota Pierquet is currently a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year in the Writing for Publication class. She has designed a few pages in the yearbook and has written newspaper articles

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
Yearbook co-editor

Ella Johnson is a junior at LHS and is a co-editor for the yearbook. She joined the publications staff as a junior. Her main focus has been on the yearbook, but she has also been a part of the broadcast...

A Community’s Passion for Creativity and Expression

Photo contributed by Whitney Robarge

Each year, with the stroke of a brush or pencil, Lodi artists create masterpieces that they yearn for people to see. The new Picasso or Van Gogh could be someone’s next-door neighbor, and they wouldn’t even realize it. As a community, Lodi strives to have an outlet for all its students. These outlets can be anywhere from sports, music, clubs, or art. Having an outlet for every child is great so that as they enter adulthood, they have found their interests and know how to pursue them. Throughout the years, Lodi has offered students multiple opportunities to pursue their passions in art. Some of these opportunities include Art Club, Visual Arts Classic, Art in the Park, Duck the Walls, and various art competitions. Not only do these shows and competitions benefit the artists themselves, but the community members can take in these works of art and appreciate the local talent.

Photo contributed by Witney Robarge

Lodi has a vast number of art extracurriculars and competitions in the high school, but there are also plenty of opportunities open to younger grades and the community. The high school offers the Wisconsin Youth Art Month, Congressional Art Competition, and Capitol Conference Art Show, as well as the Lodi Art Club Scholarship Show, all of which showcase dedication and talent. Other community and younger grades opportunities are Chalk the Walk, Art in the Park, Duck the Walls, and the Youth Art Fair.

The biggest reward of these programs is seeing how they impact the community and its students. Bryan Bilse, Lodi’s LCAT Director, is a key figure in the planning and coordinating the Duck the Walls Event. In such an event, it is important to see how these programs affect the community.” Art opportunities have a very positive impact on the community as a whole.  It is good for the community to realize that students within the Lodi School District are interested and excel in many different things, including the creation of art,” said Bilse. The response from the community also helps students and individuals get recognition for their accomplishments. “Community support greatly impacts how the student feels about themselves and how they believe adults view them,” said Bilse. Seeing positive feedback from community members and how students grow through these programs is great. Students take these opportunities to improve along the way.

Photo contributed by Whitney Robarge

As Lodi High School’s art teacher, Mrs. Whitney Robarge has seen these improvements firsthand. “These activities serve as platforms for students to develop and refine their artistic skills through regular practice, exposure to diverse techniques, and feedback from peers and instructors. Successfully showcasing artwork in public settings or achieving recognition in competitions can significantly boost students’ confidence and self-esteem,” said Robarge. These programs have shown tremendous growth throughout the years, and it is a great sight to see. Not only do these skills help students discover who they are, but they can help them find like-minded people.

The skills and passions they develop now will help these students prepare for their future. Robarge outlined how not only are these opportunities fun and great resources for when they are in school but how they help prepare them for the future in a career aspect. As well as help connect them to like-minded people.

“Beyond personal growth, these opportunities also provide valuable networking experiences, allowing students to connect with fellow artists, teachers, and professionals in the art world, thus expanding their social and future professional resources,” said Mrs. Robarge. “By exposing students to diverse artistic expressions and perspectives, these activities promote cultural appreciation and understanding.” Art can have a lasting impact on people and their lives. These early art programs are the first stepping stones to building bright futures.

Photo contributed by Whitney Robarge

While these opportunities are great now, it is always good to see improvement. Bilse shared what he would like to see done in the future: “I would like to see the community embrace activities such as the creation of art more. I think the fine arts students get overshadowed by student athletics. All youth activities are important, and by the community showing support for all students, we can all exhibit our Lodi Pride!!”

All in all, the base of one’s community is built on opportunities such as these. These opportunities offer positive short-term and long-term effects that will help students hone their skills and recognize the pride they have in their artwork. Beneficial to both the students and the community members, art is part of the strings that bond people together.