The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff

Harrison Keyeski is currently a freshman at LHS. He joined Writing for Publication at the beginning of the school year. He has appeared several times in the broadcast and has written multiple scripts....

Arrow Schilling
Arrow Schilling
Broadcast Editor

Arrow Schilling is currently a junior at LHS. She joined the publications staff her freshman year and is currently the editor of the broadcast. Arrow plans to continue her path of journalism for the rest...

Natalie Kieffer is a freshman at Lodi High School. She is currently taking the Writing for Publication class because she has always had the dream of one day getting a job in journalism. Natalie is involved...

Dylan Ness is a junior at LHS. He is a writer, reporter, and yearbook staff member. This is his first year taking this class.

TikTok Ban: Security or Censorship

Image shared via Creative Commons
Image shared via Creative Commons

Today, in an era where online privacy is crucial, the impending TikTok ban is a significant development. The government’s approval of the legislation outlawing TikTok has sparked various views. When questioned on this subject, some people responded as follows: Mr. Hauser was asked how the TikTok ban would affect the United States if it were to be implemented.

“As I understand, I don’t have TikTok, and I haven’t been on it. I understand that TikTok has some security regulations and national security interests from the United States because it is controlled by China, and the information they get is. And if it is a security issue, then I think that what is best for our nation’s security is to ban it. I don’t view it as a freedom of speech issue. If it’s a national security situation.”

Some, like Hauser, think this is more of a national security matter. After all, this is the major issue with TikTok. Since influencers rely entirely on TikTok for their revenue, privacy concerns are why TikTok may be prohibited.

“You’d have to look for another source of income. And I would imagine many of them would probably look to other social media sites.” Said Mr.Kittleson. “I don’t really know what people make on it or how many people make money on it, but I would assume that those people would lose quite a bit of money and might have to move away from it.”

The TikTok ban is set to take effect on Jan 15, 2025, following the recent passage of the bill. The legislation has sparked further discussions and debates, with many individuals sharing their opinions on the matter. When asked about their stance on the TikTok ban, both Mr. Hauser and Mr. Kittleson expressed similar views.

“I am strongly against censorship. I believe in free speech and the press and all those things. However, if it is being used to gather information that could pose a threat against society, then I think it should be eliminated and banned.” Said Mr. Hauser

In conclusion, the TikTok ban is a complex issue that requires a delicate balance between national security and individual rights. While it may impact the livelihoods of some influencers, the primary concern is national security and privacy. Many individuals believe that if TikTok is being used to gather information that could potentially pose a threat to society, then it is necessary to ban it. As the bill has recently passed, implementing the ban on Jan 15, 2025, is inevitable. Nevertheless, people will likely migrate to other social media platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, etc. Ultimately, it is important to prioritize national security while respecting individuals’ rights to free speech and expression.