The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff

Keyton Lord is a junior at Lodi High School. This is his first year taking this class.

Arrow Schilling
Arrow Schilling
Broadcast Editor

Arrow Schilling is currently a junior at LHS. She joined the publications staff her freshman year and is currently the editor of the broadcast. Arrow plans to continue her path of journalism for the rest...

Amelia Clark is a junior at Lodi High School. This is her first year writing for the school newspaper.

Madison McMorris is a sophomore at Lodi High School. This is her first year in Writing for Publication. She loves to take part in everything and to be creative.

Violence Is Not the Answer

Photographer: Megan Long
Photo taken by UMaine Student Life, shared via Flickr.

Warning: This story discusses domestic abuse and violence.

The end of 2022 brought the highest recorded number of domestic violence deaths seen since the advocacy organization End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin (WCADV) began releasing the data in 2000. Nic Houfek, a representative from Hope House, said, “96 lives were taken by domestic violence in 2022.” That is a 20% increase from the previous year’s total of 80 lives. As of November 23, 2023, 89 lives have been taken, 6% were 18 or under. At the current rate, one person is killed every 3.7 days. If that rate continues, they’ve estimated to have 100 deaths due to domestic violence in 2023.

Domestic abuse is also called “domestic violence” or “intimate partner violence” although domestic abuse isn’t just abuse from a significant other. Sibling and parent/child incidents also classify as domestic abuse. Domestic abuse is defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over another person. Abuse in itself is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions, or threats of actions that influence another person.

A victim and witness of domestic abuse who wishes to remain anonymous said, “My siblings and I didn’t want to leave the house. She smacked me around screaming at me for not leaving. We were all standing in the kitchen when my mom completely lost it. She chucked the phone book at my uncle who was on crutches and fell to the floor. My grandma tried to calm her down but it didn’t work at all. She ended up getting smacked across the face. My uncle called the cops after that.”

Another Hope House representative said, “Roughly only 10-30 percent of survivors report to police.”

Hope House is an organization located throughout central Wisconsin. Their mission is to prevent abuse and provide support ​to victims of domestic and sexual violence. They have service areas in Sauk, Columbia, Juneau, Marquette, and Adams Counties. Their services include short-term, emergency shelter for victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault that seek safe housing. Food, clothing, and personal care items are provided. Emergency transportation is provided when necessary.

Here are some resources for those who need it:

Hope House SCW – for anyone currently or previously experiencing DV/SA

Call 800-656-HOPE

Toll-free 24-Hour Confidential Helpline: 1-800-584-6790

24/7 Helpline: ​608-356-7500

Business Phone: 608-356-9123

Answered Monday-Friday 8 AM- 4:30 PM

Love Is Respect – for teens-young adults; resources for DV/SA as well as healthy relationships; they also have an advocacy program that you can reach out to.

https://www.loveisrespect.org/

Call 1-866-331-9474

Chat live now. Text: LOVEIS to 22522

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) – the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline.

https://www.rainn.org/

The National Domestic Abuse Hotline

1.800.799.SAFE (7233)

https://www.thehotline.org/get-help/#

Room to Be Safe  – for LGBTQ DV/SA

https://www.roomtobesafe.org/

Text or call 414-856-LGBT to connect with an advocate who can provide emotional support, help plan ways to stay physically or emotionally safer, and connect you to other resources if applicable.