Study Suggestions From a Senior

Jade Homewood

Colton Mefford and Jackson Coddington on their grindset. Photo by Jade Homewood

Jade Homewood, Editor

As finals are approaching, the time for study sessions is upon us. As a senior who has endured multiple final exams, I am going to give you a couple of study tips and ideas.

To start, you need to know the different methods you are going to use to study in order to plan out the study session. The first thing you should do is review your notes and refresh your memory on the class’s content. After that, you can really start delving into the information.

A helpful method for memorization is using flashcards. Making them yourself helps because then you get to be as specific as you want with your information, and it’s also a form of studying. You can also use Quizlet or play games such as Quizizz, Kahoot, Blooket, and Gimkit. “I use Blooket or Quizlet; it’s just a fun way of studying,” explained junior James Miller.

Another great way of studying if you are in an AP class is practicing FRQs, LEQs, and DBQs. You can find them on the College Board website, do past ones, or find them from a couple of other sources. Going through your notes and other worksheets you might have and then forming a paragraph or essay (depending on what you are writing) is a great way to solidify that information and work with it. A method of studying used by sophomore Olivia Tirrel is “rewriting vocabulary,” a solid way to memorize keywords.

Now that you have a plan for your study session, you need to find a place to start the intensive grind. You should find a quiet place or a place where you feel comfortable. Another thing I recommend doing if you want a little noise is listening to music, specifically lofi. It is scientifically proven to help you focus and concentrate more. You can find lofi playlists on any music platform or by looking it up on basically any site. Senior Lillian Strong said she listens to Taylor Swift or The Weeknd while studying.

One last little scientific tip I have is chewing gum while studying and then chewing the same flavor of gum while taking a test. It helps trigger your memories from the time you were studying and is proven to help people concentrate more. I hope all of this info helps you out during these trying times. Happy studying and good luck with your finals!