The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

Meet the Staff

Keyton Lord is a junior at Lodi High School. This is his first year taking this class.

Harrison Keyeski is currently a freshman at LHS. He joined Writing for Publication at the beginning of the school year. He has appeared several times in the broadcast and has written multiple scripts....

Jadyn Hellenbrand
Jadyn Hellenbrand
Newspaper co-editor

Jadyn Hellenbrand is a Junior at Lodi High School. She joined the Publications her sophomore year and has advanced herself to the co-editor position of the newspaper. She does other things for the publications,...

Dylan Ness is a junior at LHS. He is a writer, reporter, and yearbook staff member. This is his first year taking this class.

New vs. Old: Music

What do the people of Lodi High School think of music? Do they make it like they used to? Let’s find out!
Photo taken by Ylanite Koppens, shared via Pexels

Music is always evolving. But are we evolving with it? Is it best to stick with the past and not grow? So when put to the test, what do Lodi teachers and students think of this debate?

Mr. Hauser is turning 55 this year. When he was young, he stuck with rock and hasn’t changed his opinion on it much.

“I don’t listen to a lot of new music quite honestly. I am all about classic rock, ’80s rock even … That’s kind of where I live. I didn’t listen to newer stuff. Just kind of went back to what I knew,” said Hauser.

Then the question was passed to senior Rowan Thistle.

“No matter if it’s old or new, there’s always good stuff coming out of every timeframe … But I don’t really have a preference, I guess, the stuff I listen to, probably more of its older because that’s just coincidence,” said Thistle.

He mostly listens to older music, but he still dabbles in newer music. Thistle went on to say, “If you haven’t dug deep enough to find something that’s newer that you like, like, you got to not listen to the radio.”

He explains that radio doesn’t branch out enough to cover all forms of music, whether that be old or new. He is on the side of the ever-expanding music world. He believes it is vital to stay in the loop and grow with it.

Mason Schunk, had this to say about the question: “Creed and only Creed … Creed because his voice beautifully flows.”

For those who don’t know, Creed is a late ’90s rock band. Schunk had no opinion if it was old or new. It should only be Creed and nothing else. Most people have a set band or don’t even listen to music at all. Schunk falls into this category. So it wouldn’t even matter if it was newer or older. 

The responses were across the board. Music is always growing, and older music is getting older. But the younger generation keeps it around. Everyone likes old music but is unsure about the future of it. But that is how it is with art, it is up to the viewer to decide. In this case, it is up to the listener to decide if Creed still holds up. Or if Taylor Swift is the new Steven Tyler.

Popular Albums (Dayne Flad)