The Devil’s Advocate

The Student News Site of Lodi High School

The Devil’s Advocate

The Devil’s Advocate

American´s Past Time

Image from Creative Commons

The Major League Baseball (MLB) is the world’s top professional baseball league, established for over 150 years. The American League (AL) and the National League (NL), each with 15 teams, make up the league. Each has a distinct history, set of customs, and style of play. The NL has existed since 1876, but the AL was established in 1901. They feature some of the world’s greatest players and together form the foundation of professional baseball in North America.

Controversy continues this year. The pitcher clock became a rule in 2023, which many people have mixed opinions about. Some people say that it makes the pitcher stressed out. The pitcher has to start his delivery before the 20 seconds are up, or it’s an automatic ball. Junior Ben said, “The pitch clock makes the game go by a little bit quicker but hurts pitchers.”

Another change from 2023 was a 4 1/2-inch reduction in the space between first and second. The baseball bases are now 18 inches instead of the previous 15 inches. The infielders improve their throws to first base as the primary factor. Reducing collisions is the second reason.

Junior Kaden Ballweg said, “A positive is that the extra size of the bases causes more steals. We’ve had significant growth in the amount of steals per season. Last year, Ronald Acuña Jr. had 75 stolen bases or something like that. So yeah, negative would be like you’re limited to throw-overs. So it’s easy for base runners to read it after you do two. You can just steal, and they can’t do anything about it.”

So what is the most important position in the MLB? Junior Hayden Tadysak said, “The pitcher because he has to pitch the ball to the hitter, and the hitters are dogs.”

“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind you and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s how baseball is.” – Bullet Bob Feller.